The role of the Managing Editor is to act as the editorial figurehead for, and public face of, pharmaphorum and its associated publications, cultivating and maintaining relationships with key editorial and commercial stakeholders.
The Managing Editor will oversee and manage the editorial function for pharmaphorum and its associated publications. They will take responsibility for the accuracy and quality of the digital publication, direct the implementation of the editorial strategy and content plan by engaging with the in-house editorial team / freelancers / external partners to develop and execute high quality content for the website and its associated publications.
The role will also involve supporting commercial projects through an appropriate combination of client liaison, editing, freelancer management and writing.
In addition the role will include the management of, and production responsibility for, the digital magazine Deep Dive (including content planning, commissioning, editing, interviewing, writing, managing advertisers and overseeing the review process).
Duties and responsibilities
- Ownership and implementation of the editorial strategy
- Manage the editorial team, including associated freelancers and contractors, including hiring and coaching of new recruits
- Coordinate and lead weekly editorial meetings
- Work closely with the web editor to develop and manage the editorial calendar through management of paid articles and commissioning of editorial articles from an established team of freelancers and / or other companies
- Increase the quality of content and expand its reach through delivery of high-quality editorial content
- Commissioning and producing media for pharmaphorum.com, including articles, podcasts and videos
- Editing and proofing news and feature articles written by other members of the editorial team
- Writing occasional articles for the website to maintain the Managing Editor’s personal profile and editorial authority
- Producing articles for Deep Dive. Including communicating with relevant people in-house and externally to manage content and expectations regarding content – unpaid and paid. Including editorial staff, design staff, marketing staff, advertising staff and external contributors.
- Evaluating and decision-making regarding article enquiries/submissions and Deep Dive content
- Ownership of pharmaphorum social media channels (Twitter, FB and LI) including development and expansion of reach through creating and implementing social media strategies to support website content
- Alignment and delivery of content on-time to support commercial strategies and revenue stream
- Liaising with clients / media contacts to help build relationships through editorial coverage and to present opportunities for business development leads for the commercial teams
- Attend conferences and events on behalf of the company where relevant to the business, that will directly improve the website’s content and potentially support business development opportunities for the commercial team
- Moderating and leading industry debates, including webinars, round tables and ad boards
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Excellent editing and writing skills in English with a demonstrable portfolio of published work
- Proven experience of proof reading and sub-editing to a professional standard
- Experience of working with content management systems, ideally WordPress
- Experience of working with Microsoft Office and social media platforms, specifically Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn
- Working knowledge of SEO concepts
- Communication skills, including ability to liaise with clients and potential interviewees for editorial articles
- Attention to detail
- Creative mind
- Energetic self-starter
Qualifications and Education
- BSc/BA in journalism or relevant field
- 8+ years proven work experience as a writer/journalist/copywriter, ideally with experience of web content
- 5+ years working within pharmaceutical industry or healthcare environment
- 5+ years proven experience working on commercial projects / deliverables
- Editorial team
The post Managing Editor appeared first on .